



**Clark County Local Emergency Planning Committee**  
CLARK COUNTY FIRE ADMINISTRATION  
**TELECONFERENCE**

**DUE TO THE CURRENT STATE OF EMERGENCY THIS MEETING  
IS BEING HELD VIA TELECONFERENCE**

Join the meeting: <https://call.lifesizecloud.com/3682112>  
Click to call from Mobile (audio only)  
United States: +1 (312) 584-2401,, 3682112#

**Minutes**

**May 25, 2022  
09:00 AM**

Members Present:

LEPC Chair, Billy Samuels, LEPC Vice-Chair Rachel Skidmore, Art Perillo, Solome Barton, Sean Patterson, Everett Bates, Michael Harris, Misty Richardson, Carolyn Levering, Spencer Lewis, Angeline Szymanski, Corey Ross, Dean Kiernan in for Michael Wilson, Jason Manzo, Brad Poulson, Bowdie Young, Phil Klevatorick, Gonzalo Garcia in for Judy Lopez, Michael Richardson in for Ben Moan, Jeffery Ohs, Dan Berc, Jeen Clemitson, Brian Mitchell, Sgt. Sally Mason, Brian Scroggins, Christi Wiegman.

Members Absent:

Warren Whitney, Carlito Rayos, Robert Williams, Travis Anderson, Brian Arboreen, Jason Moyer, Adam Hyde, Sean Simoneau, Michael Denning, Jeremy Hynds, Michael Atherall, Ryan Turner, Greg Chesser, Will Gray, Nigel Walton, Jayson Andrus, John Hines, Misty Robinson, Jeff Quinn, Stephanie Rennick, Stephanie Daus, Michael Anderson, Dan Ferriter, Lori Mack, Salvatore Urzi, John Arias, James Madsen, Geoffery Campbell, Gregg Maye, John Lombard, Brittany Mandara, Yuri Graves, David Elkington, Tori Begay, Michael Langley, David Bustos, Melanie Rouse, Tami Sedivy-Schroder, Tiffany Brown, Karen Taylor, Kerrie Humble, John Turner.

**I. Call to Order** Billy Samuels, Chairman

We're going to first start with Letter 1, some use their phones and are not actively speaking, we're going to be getting some feedback; we always do on this one. But I am going to call to order LEPC Meeting for 05/25/2022; it is 0900 and Andria can you please do roll call?

**II. Roll Call**

Andria: Yes Chief, we will go ahead and start off at the top. And just a quick reminder before we go ahead and go through roll. If I call your name first, you are the member; and if you are the alternate, you may fill in for the member as well. So I will go ahead and start at the top. And one more reminder too, if I...for some reason there is a lag or a delay in the call, go ahead and you can send me an email or drop in the chat box that you were here and present.

Andria: Chief with that, we have made quorum.

Chief Samuels: Perfect, than you Andria. And also check into chat and you will see some more people that will show present as well and also add Brian Arboreen from Henderson Fire Department as being present, and Gregg Chesser from Boulder City Fire Department as being present. The rest will be in the chat.

Andria: Thank you, I will do that.

Chief Samuels: I am going to close out Agenda Item II and go to III.

**III. Public Comments**

Chief Samuels: I am going to start here. I know how you wait til IV, but I do want to address the fact that there was a senseless shooting yesterday in Uvalde, Texas and our thoughts and prayers are with that community. This is why we have LEPC. I know LEPC is a lot of folks having materials and stuff like that, but this is us as a community, let's try to make it a safer community for our residents and for our visitors and our kids. So again let's try to keep that in mind when we do try to do this kind of stuff. It's not about the organization itself, but it's about our whole community and how we can kind of take care of one another. So thoughts and prayers with them and I'll open this up to public comment. Alright I'm hearing none. As you guys know, you will have an additional time at the end of this meeting to have public comment again. So if some thoughts come into your head by that time period, I'd love to hear them. I'm closing out III and going to IV.

**IV. Comments from the Chair**

Billy Samuels

Like I said, again as a community we need to be stronger, healthier, and safer; and what we do is this kind of working groups that we do have. Obviously we cannot control those one-offs, but we do our best to try to prepare for those that we can. So closing out Agenda Item IV and going to V.

**V. \* Review and Approve Meeting Minutes from 2/8/2022 and 3/15/2022.**

Billy Samuels

Phil Klevatorick: Approve the minutes for both dates.

Chief Samuels: Is that you, Phil?

Phil Klevatorick: It is.

Chief Samuels: Phil Klevatorick with the First, do I hear a Second?

Spencer Lewis: For a Second.

Chief Samuels: Spencer with the Second. All in favor say "I". Do I hear any opposed? Hearing none, the motion passes. Closing out Agenda Item V. We are going to Agenda Item VI.

**VI. \* Review and Approve FY 2023 SERC United We Stand grant applications, not to exceed \$32,000.**

There is a total of 4 projects on this that we need to discuss as a group today and see which ones we want to pass. This is not a priority, this is just the order that we have.

- a. Las Vegas Paiute - \$10,300 to purchase 8 ballistic vests for police officers
- b. Mesquite Fire Department - \$24,862.00 to purchase 4 gas monitors and calibration equipment.
- c. LVMPD Armor - \$25,662- to purchase 10 ballistic helmets and 20 ballistic plates.
- d. Clark County Fire - \$9,995.00 to purchase 8 multi-gas detectors and gas calibration system.  
*(For Possible Action)*. Again this is for possible action. We'd love to have to do a discussion first because I think some \$90,000.00 is what we're at and we need to be at \$32,000.00, so I'm going to open this up to the group.

Jason Moyer: After we reviewed the other submissions, we'd like to start off by reducing our ask. We would like to reduce it to \$13,287.00; we're going to remove the ballistic plates from that. Yes that would be just for the purchase of the helmets plus shipping.

Chief Samuels: Copy that. Karen are you doing the math on this right now?

Karen Taylor: Still over, Chief.

Chief Samuels: I figured we would be.

Karen Taylor: Let's see.

Member Male Voice: I know for the City of Mesquite we can reduce the number of 4 gas monitors we're asking for, but I'm trying to find that to make sure that I know the correct number.

Chief Samuels: Cap, what's the difference between the 4 gas monitors that you guys are getting and calibration equipment compared to Clark County Fire, that are the a multi-gas when...

Member Male Voice: I was going to ask that same question because I searched and searched and that was what I thought was a pretty dang good price, so if there is someone from County that can speak of brand or what they're getting, I would definitely like to know.

Chief Samuels: I would like to know, I don't think Carlito knows cause we have (UNINTELLIGIBLE) going on today, so I couldn't give you the exact ones. Karen might have the specifics on the sheet that she wrote up that she could share with us here.

Karen Taylor: I know that ours were...the quote that was the lowest was from C.N. Curtis and ours were monitors that are going to be used by the heavy rescue for detecting gas now in the new tunnel system and they weren't very expensive. They were only about \$850.00 per one; normally when we get the other multi-gas they generally are around \$2,500.00 a piece, but these were cheaper because I don't think they detect the same type of gas as the other multi-gas's that we have purchased previously.

Chief Samuels: And that makes sense probably for a lot of us that will do those confined spaces; we're only looking for certain gases. Basically it is just the options efficiency that we're looking for, it is not necessarily the....I'm not looking for propane when I go down there, I'm looking for lower explosive limits and level of oxygen saturation, so maybe that's why, so Spencer I agree, you probably still need those same ones that you're guys are looking for.

Spencer Lewis: Yeah so I found a quote, we're at \$2,800.00 a piece; we're asking for 5, if we could get 5 (UNINTELLIGIBLE), so that would reduce it for \$5,600.00.

Karen Taylor: Spencer, was that (UNINTELLIGIBLE) sound good?

Spencer Lewis: Yeah, we do better...let me add it for real instead of adding it in my head. Yeah, \$5,600.00. Now the problem with ours, we are out of warranties by 2 years and we spent about...oh it was right around \$4,000.00 last year, fixing 4 gas monitors and we're just in a tight spot.

Karen Taylor: So that would be your ask down for Mesquite to \$19,262.00 for 3 of them?

Spencer Lewis: Yes, which is still a lot I know.

Chief Samuels: So with those 2 right there, we're still above that \$30...?

Karen Taylor: We're still \$22,000.00....\$20,844.00 over still.

Chief Samuels: Okay. The way I'm seeing this is even with that we're still now below that \$32,000.00. I want, and you can put the work in for these projects. I'd like everyone to get a little bit. I don't know how it works, it's such a small, finite number that we're all used to dealing with that we're trying to (UNINTELLIGIBLE) progressive that might not be compressible. Chief Owens, do you have any idea on your ballistic vests?

Chief Owens: (UNINTELLIGIBLE – SPEAKING SOFTLY). This year, but you know I'd be willing to knock off a couple of those. I'll look elsewhere for it. I know that's not very much, but.

Chief Samuels: Right.

Phil Klevatorick: It almost seems like if everybody cut their requests by half, we can get through this Agenda Item; that's just a thought. I'm not saying that's the way we should do it, but it just seems like it would be very close to that number.

Chief Samuels: I think we'd all be willing....I'd be willing to do that from the Clark County Side. Does that get us to the right where we want to get to be, Karen?

Karen Taylor: Let's see. If everybody goes in half,

Phil Klevatorick: At least it's closer.

Spencer Lewis: I know Mesquite's is a pretty big ask, but I could work with that.

Chief Samuels: (UNINTELLIGIBLE), as much there, Spencer, I think it's your calibration system is pricy too.

Spencer Lewis: Yeah, that would give me the calibration system and 1 of the 4 gas monitors. I know we have a charity golf tournament that usually gets me a couple thousand that I could probably....in Mesquite we get creative, but yeah I know there is a charity golf tournament for police and fire that we get about \$10,000.00 from, but I could probably start working on beefing that up, but getting that calibration system is essential.

Member Male Voice: If we went with that 50% thing each, we could go with that, I could go with that.

Chief Samuels: Drop yours down to 4 masks?

Member Male Voice: Yeah, that's what, you know what plan is, if that works for everybody, we all cut like a percentage, we'd be willing to do that too.

Chief Samuels: Thanks, Chief. Hey Karen does that work, if we just cut about 50% then we can through this Agenda Item?

Karen Taylor: It actually leaves us some money on the table if we cut everybody in half.

Chief Samuels: Well, if we cut everybody in half, then just see which projects have the minimal amount that we can get them the most product and go that route, please. If it's an extra monitor, if it's \$2,800.00 give it to Mesquite; if it's whatever the price of the mask, give it to Paiute or Armor. Don't worry about fire, Clark County.

Karen Taylor: Alright, Chief Owens, now much are your vests a piece?

Chief Owens: Those are \$1,275.00.

Karen Taylor: Spencer how much are your monitors or calibration?

Spencer Lewis: I was just adding that up. For 1, 4 gas monitors and all of the calibration equipment would be \$11,300.00.

Karen Taylor: \$11,300.00?

Spencer Lewis: Yeah, so if we were able to get 2 monitors that would put us at \$14,200.00. So if \$14,200.00 would be good, that would be awesome for me to get the 2 gas monitors and put them on our first out engines.

Karen Taylor: We're \$366.00 over. But I did add 1 more vest for Chief Owens, so if we take that off, we'll be under.

Spencer Lewis: I mean we can get a different...a new quote and they might be able to get, mine at least to \$14,000.00, I can talk with them and see where we're at. I think if we're within a couple hundred dollars, we can work through it.

Karen Taylor: I'll just put you at \$1,400.00; we're leaving Metro at the \$6,643.50; and we'll leave Clark County at the \$4,997.50; we're like \$791.00 over. I think Chief because these items on our quote, that I can probably reduce ours the \$791.00, and reduce the number. I think I can do that. So if we take the \$791.00 off ours, let's see if that....I'm going to leave you at \$1,400.00, Spencer, and see if we make it.

Spencer Lewis: That would be amazing, thank you.

Chief Samuels: Can you guys hear me? Good. Karen did we get it figured out?

Karen Taylor: I'm almost there.

Chief Samuels: Thank you.

Karen Taylor: Alright, Chief, if we leave the Paiute Tribe at \$5,150.00, Metro at \$6,643.50, leaving us at \$4,997.50 and bringing Mesquite back to \$14,200.00, we have \$1,009.00 that we need to figure out what to do with.

Chief Samuels: You mean like we have enough of it, or we're short or over?

Karen Taylor: We have that money to allocate.

Chief Samuels: Can you give it to the Paiute; can the Paiute make equal with that?

Karen Taylor: I don't know. Chief, will the extra \$1,000.00 help you at all?

Chief Owens: Oh, we'd love it. I' still going to buy the same number of vests, this just means I can throw in 4 or so. (UNINTELLIGIBLE), we'd love to have it.

Karen Taylor: Alright, Chief, here we are. That makes for balance Las Vegas Paiute \$6,159.00; City of Mesquite \$14,200.00; Las Vegas Armor \$6,643.50; and Clark County Fire \$4,997.50 and we're in balance.

Chief Samuels: Awesome, thank you Karen. So for the record, we have Las Vegas Paiute is going to get \$6,159.00; Mesquite Fire \$14,200.00; Las Vegas Metropolitan Department Armor \$6,643.50; can I get a first and a second if everyone is in agreeance?

Karen Taylor: And ours too, Chief, you missed ours.

Chief Samuels: I said Clark County Fire Department \$4,997.50.

Karen Taylor: Oh, I missed it then.

Chief Samuels: Carolyn with the first, do I hear a second?

Solome Barton: Second.

Chief Samuels: I heard Solome with the second. All in favor say "I". Any opposed. Hearing none, let's pass it.

Karen Taylor: This is Karen for the record. For all of these Agencies, I will need new quotes as quickly as you can get them to me for these new amounts.

Chief Samuels: Copy that. Well you can create ours for us. Chief Owens, Jason and Spencer do you guys all copy that?

Chief Owens, Jason and Spencer: Yep, we'll get on it. Okay we'll start looking.

Chief Samuels: Alright, thanks guys. Hey I appreciate the partnership and the agreeance and trying to squeeze the juice out of a small lemon. It wasn't a very big lemon, so I'm glad we were able to come together to get it completed. Alright closing out Agenda Item VI and going to Agenda Item VII.

**VII.** \* Review and approve the projects submitted for the HMEP FY 22-25 projects for the Local Emergency Planning Committee.  
*(For Possible Action)*

Have you guys all had a chance to kind of look at that training platform of what we're trying to accomplish? I hope you said yes, because I don't want to re-read it all to you guys.

Karen Taylor: Chief, would you like me to give a little background on why we submitted it?

Chief Samuels: Yeah.

Karen Taylor: This is Karen Taylor for the record. The State of Nevada Emergency Response Commission reached out to us and they were having difficulties submitting their application to the Department of Transportation and they requested us to do a real quick turnaround on what projects that our LEPC would like to see possibly funded with HMEP money from 2022 to 2025; so this was a list that we came up with and submitted it in a couple days.

Chief Samuels: Thank you, Karen. Does anyone have any questions? Let's start there. This is for action. Again it benefits the entire valley when it comes to training and exercises, but I'd like to get some input from you guys. Care or don't want too. If you don't care, then (UNINTELLIGIBLE), then let's do a vote and we'll pass it. But if you do have some comments, I'd love to hear them.

Spencer Lewis: Chief Samuels, was the hospital stuff part of that training plan, or was that separate that Chief (UNINTELLIGIBLE) had been running?

Chief Samuels: No the hospital area command, we had some funds left over (UNINTELLIGIBLE) and then we were going to have to be obligated to those funds anyway, we got an extension to November 30<sup>th</sup> of this year and so that's why we were able to....Chief Castles (UNINTELLIGIBLE – BAD RECORDING)....jurisdiction or hospital, so (UNINTELLIGIBLE)

Spencer Lewis: Yeah and that was a great training. They came up here to Mesquite. It had a lot of value for our community and our department, so I totally approve of going forward with more training and exercises.

Chief Samuels: Thanks Cap, I appreciate that. Alright so this is for possible action. Again I think if there is stuff that we want to show and that we want to go forth, I like having this three years' out, I think it is something that is reasonable for us to kind of look at and accept and digest. So I'm just looking for some motions to pass this item.

Misty Richardson: I motion to approve.

Chief Samuels: I heard Misty Richardson for the first, Jim possibly for the second?

Jim: Yes.

Chief Samuels: All in favor say "I". Do I hear any opposed? Alright motion passes. Closing out Agenda Item VII and we're going to go to Agenda Item VIII.

### **VIII. LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS**

Chief Samuels: I know some people are not on this and that is okay; and if you don't have anything, you can just say "I have nothing to report".

- a. Plans Administration Subcommittee Carlito Rayos, Chair

Carlito Rayos: Live from Centennial Hospital, Chief.

Chief Samuels: Go ahead.

Carlito Rayos: Right now on plans, we're still working with all of the jurisdiction sites identified a (UNINTELLIGIBLE) so we can adopt the prism. There were no plans, we just completed all of the hazmat plans through SERC and we're looking at doing some SERC hazmat data base training and so consolidation of the local ordinances to align better with requirements from EPA. That's all of our funding efforts that I have to report.

Chief Samuels: Thanks Carlito. Does anyone have any questions for him?

Phil Klevatorick: This is Phil Klevatorick here.

Chief Samuels: Yeah, go ahead Phil.

Phil Klevatorick: Yeah I just want to know if Carlito's getting a head start on Mustache November?

Chief Samuels: Yeah, it's pretty sad, it's been going on for 3 months now, that's where he's at, so pretty sad.

Carlito Rayos: I need a heck of a head start, thanks.

- b. Training and Exercise Subcommittee Misty Richardson, Chair  
Carlito Rayos, Co-chair

Misty Richardson: Chief I believe Carlito has this one as well today.

Chief Samuels: Carlito, training exercise please.

Carlito Reyos: As you know, the focus has just been on hospital area command today, we're at Centennial Hills, I believe this was our 15<sup>th</sup> evolution of this. Tomorrow we'll be wrapping that up and submitting...I think it would be great to give a brief from the facilitation team to LEPC or at least some type of back report just the highlights of lessons learned or something. So we'll get that on the Agenda for the next LEPC pending your approval.

Chief Samuels: No, I would like that and I think that's good for this group and it kind of shows the collaboration on how LEPC works in the private and public organizations; I think that's important.

Carlito Rayos: I did have one alibi for planning and I apologize. So we do a site visit of Clark County Regional Water District yesterday with Clark County, Henderson and City of Las Vegas hazmat teams and this is part of our plan initiative to pre-plan all of the Tier II facilities. Every jurisdiction is going to use their pre-planning tool. Clark County Operations has committed to using (UNINTELLIGIBLE) and pre-planning (UNINTELLIGIBLE – BACKGROUND NOISE). We're pretty excited about that. We'll be working with our regional working groups who will be (UNINTELLIGIBLE).

Chief Samuels: Carlito did you just mention (UNINTELLIGIBLE)?

Carlito Rayos: Yes sir.

Chief Samuels: So thanks for getting that report out. (UNINTELLIGIBLE) also one of our cards and our iPads and (UNINTELLIGIBLE) equipment and through (UNINTELLIGIBLE) we were able to find that out. So thank you for helping me to going to retrieve some of our items. But that just shows you ideas on how (UNINTELLIGIBLE) works, so that's pretty cool. Any questions for the training and exercise component for Carlito? (UNINTELLIGIBLE – BACKGROUND NOISE).

c. Grants Subcommittee

Karen Taylor, Chair

Karen Taylor: This is Karen Taylor for the record. I just wanted to remind everybody on June grants that we have submitted for (UNINTELLIGIBLE) cycle. One is for the Chem-Trek Conference which is September 12<sup>th</sup> through the 14<sup>th</sup>, so please put that on your radar; and the second one is for the Reno Fire Show which is at the end of September. Currently High Chiefs is happening the first to second week in June. Mesquite are you are going to send anybody to High Chiefs?

Spencer Lewis: Yeah, off-line. I know we will, but I'll this done.

Karen Taylor: Okay. I just wanted to make sure who we're going to have for reimbursement process. Las Vegas Fire, are you going to send anybody to the High Chief's Conference?

Member Male Voice: (UNINTELLIGIBLE – BACKGROUND NOISE).

Karen Taylor: So, Chief Perillo, that was like you're not going to send anybody this time?

Chief Perillo: Right now that's....I believe that conference is the same week as our Captain's (UNINTELLIGIBLE) test....are most likely taking that exam. If it could be another day or two....(UNINTELLIGIBLE).

Karen Taylor: Okay. Can you email me and let me know if you're going to have anybody attend?

Chief Perillo: I will, thank you.

Karen Taylor: And I would just like to remind all the other members, North Las Vegas and Henderson, I didn't hear them on, that the reimbursement process needs to be submitted to the State 5 days after you return, so I need a super turnaround on your paperwork and I will reach out to all of you to make sure we meet those requirements. That's it, Chief.

Solome Barton: Yeah, real quick, this is Solome Barton. We will definitely make sure that the (UNINTELLIGIBLE) is timely. My other question is we request some documentation that is between us and Clark County. I think that's one of our....you know, our grant office is requesting that before. I believe the (UNINTELLIGIBLE)...if that's possible.

Karen Taylor: Do you just need a copy of the Award Letter?

Solome Barton: We have a copy of the Award Letter and I believe this Award Letter encompasses the Chief's Conference, Reno Fire Show and Chem-Trek.

Karen Taylor: No, that's....this one does not, Solome. Why don't you give me a call.

Solome Barton: Okay, perfect, thank you.

Karen Taylor: Alright. Any other questions of either High Chiefs or the upcoming Chem-Trek or Reno Fire Shows? I will let you all know when I get the Award Letters for Chem-Trek and Reno Fire Shows. Please keep in mind our issue this time was airfare and with airfare prices being so high right now, that was a problem. We can only reimburse the amount that was requested in the grant.

Chief Samuels: I lost the last 2 minutes that you guys all said. I hope you guys concluded this meeting without me, cause I have no clue what just happened.

Karen Taylor: No, it was still me.

Chief Samuels: Is there anything I need to follow-up on, Karen?

Karen Taylor: Negative, I got it.

Chief Samuels: Thanks. Sorry guys, technology, gotta love it.

d. Public Information Subcommittee

Cheryl Nagy, Chair

Cheryl Nagy: Nothing to report, Chief.



- e. Legislative Subcommittee Angeline Szymanski, Chair

Angeline Szymanski: Get a quick construct. Angeline Szymanski, good morning everyone. The next legislative session for Nevada is starting to ramp-up, just for your awareness that Bill, Draft requests, BDR's are...the deadline is in September. It seems like a long ways away, but it's going to come fast. Just so that you're aware. Other than that, that's the end of my report.

Chief Samuels: Awesome, any questions for Angeline?

- f. GIS Subcommittee Sarah Wright, Chair

Chief Samuels: Hearing none.

- g. Specialized Response Subcommittee Vacant, Chair

### **SPECIAL REPORTS & WORKING GROUPS**

- a. Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) Brian Scroggins,  
Southern Nevada VOAD

Brian Scroggins: I don't have anything specific, but if I could spend about 5 minutes with you tomorrow when we do the grant program just to talk a little about some VOAD issues, would that be alright?

Chief Samuels: Absolutely, you want to do it prior to the meeting?

Brian Scroggins: Sure I'll be there a couple of minutes early.

Chief Samuels: Sounds good. I'll be here too as well.

Brian Scroggins: Alright, thanks.

Chief Samuels: Thanks Brian.

- b. Nuclear Waste Division Yucca Mountain Update Phil Klevatorick,  
Clark County Nuclear Waste

Phil Klevatorick: Good morning everybody, Phil Klevatorick here for the record. A couple of quick updates. Carlito, I tried to interrupt you when you were actually talking about training exercise, but I was too mesmerized by your mustache. So the NNSS had a recent training exercise up at the Test Site and I know that the Las Vegas Fire was involved, but I did raise a concern that there wasn't an invitation sent into other jurisdictions and they took it to heart, so hopefully we are included in other training in the future. Recently we had our low-level radioactive waste stakeholders forum; few of you folks are on this including Carlito and I think Carolyn and other people. Next week I'm in Philadelphia for 4 days regarding the National Transportation Stakeholders Forum and that is all about shipping nuclear materials around the country and the final thing is 2 weeks ago I was underground 2,150 feet at the waste disposal facility in Carlsbad, New Mexico which is the second deepest hole I've been in in the last month. The deepest one is the one I told my wife I paid so much dollars about my pinball machine and she found out the truth. So it's only the second deepest hole I've been in in a month, but that's it for me Chief, thank you.

Chief Samuels: Thanks Phil, and I think all of us males on this call likes to hang out at the first hole with the pinball machine, so wants you figure that out and tell us, we'll follow-up at a future date. Alright, any questions for Phil on that? Hearing none.

- c. Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan Jeremy Hynds, Chair  
Steering Subcommittee

Josie : this is Josie for Henderson. I'll be reporting on behalf of Jeremy today and I will keep it brief. I just want to do a print introduction to the project. I know most of you are familiar with it, but I'll just do a quick overview and then leave a couple of requests for participation. So the 2018 Clark County Hazard Mitigation Plan is set to expire in 2023, so Clark County is beginning to update the Hazard Mitigation Plan and we have contracted with Constant Associates to coordinate and facilitate the planning efforts.

Misty Richardson is the project manager, I'm simply assisting and trying to help where I can. So this is a multi-jurisdictional project and the County is leading out, but we're just helping where we can and making sure that everyone gets to participate and pay tribute so that this is an opportunity for every community and jurisdiction to build resistance and have the opportunity for those Mitigation opportunities, so the completion of this Hazard Mitigation Plan and the approval by FEMA and then subsequent adoption by each jurisdiction will allow the participating organizations to receive HMPG and (UNINTELLIGIBLE) grant funding like Break Funding, so it's a great opportunity for every jurisdiction for mitigation and resiliency. So we have partnered with Constant, as I mentioned, and they have sent out a questionnaire to every jurisdiction; if you didn't get one, please let me know and I will be happy to send that to you....and that incorporates data information from every jurisdiction about past hazards, current hazards, current status, and then I'll give an opportunity for mitigation activities. So we are asking for everyone to participate. It seems like it's really far away, but September 2023 is going to come really fast and this is kind of a long process. We're also incorporate involvement and input and so we're going to request that we get to have the next Multi meeting agenda provide a summary of the hazard mitigation planning process and how the community can contribute to the update. All of our Steering Committee meetings are going to be public and recorded on Youtube thanks to Andria, she's done an amazing job with that. So all I ask is just for participation from all the jurisdictions. If you can fill out your questionnaire and support the Constant Associates as they reach out to you, that would be really helpful and we can make sure this is a really thorough and beneficial plan to all the jurisdictions involved. So I think that was everything. If you have any questions or concerns along the process, please reach out to me or Misty. I'm always happy to help and this is a learning process for me as well, so I'm really excited to be involved and I appreciate all of your participation. Thank you.

Chief Samuels: Thanks Josie, good report out. And if you're not getting feedback from some of the jurisdictions, they might not be the people on this call, so reach out to anyone in the LEPC and see if they can light a fire under the jurisdictions that are not participating....(UNINTELLIGIBLE) for everybody. I know everyone on this group, they wouldn't be here if they didn't care about it. Thank you. Regional Working Groups. (UNINTELLIGIBLE – HIS MIC KEEPS GOING IN AND OUT). But each one has a chair and a co-chair....(UNINTELLIGIBLE) what it's going to look like for the different four quadrants.

d. Regional Working Groups

1. AIR

Joe Sabo, Co-chair  
Kim Ferguson, Co-chair

Chief Samuels: We're going to start with Air; Joe are you on or is Kim doing that one? Kim are you still on?

2. BEIR

Salvador McLeod, Co-chair  
Mike Shanks, Co-chair

Mike Shanks: Thanks, I don't have anything really to report. It's my first session just joining the group, so I'm happy to help, but just trying to figure out what that's going to look like.

Carlito Rayos: This is Carlito for the record, can I interject really quick?

Chief Samuels: Yes please.

Carlito Rayos: Hey Mike can you just introduce yourself and what facility, general part of town you're in, what facility you're at and how you came to be a part of the establishment of that working group in your region.

Mike Shanks: Sure. So I'm Mike Shanks. I'm the plant manager of the Ken's plant. We're out on Blue Diamond, basically Blue Diamond and Jones. I've been here at this plant for 17 years. I've been in the valley for about 29 now. So honestly not exactly sure how I got involved in this. Someone reached out to me, I think my HR Manager may have set me up also, but

kind of got told and volunteered in, but I'm happy to do whatever I can, since I've been in town a long and looking to get my organization more involved in what's going on.

Carlito Rayos: Thanks, Mike. So I met Mike first on, on incident. They had a sabotage incident; they have a private rails with you know product it comes in by rail for Union Pacific and they have 30,000 gallons of vegetable oil that was ended up being some teenagers that undid the caps and leaked about 12,000 gallons of vegetable oil all over. BLM land, we had folks from the County right away from Warm Springs down to Decatur causing several accidents and obviously it's a critical infrastructure because there's a rail spur and they're a Tier II facility but mostly their critical restructure is they make all of the dipping sauce for Raising Cane's and Chick-fil-A, which have been super critical of the structure and (UNINTELLIGIBLE).

Mike Shanks: Sweet Baby Ray's Bbq Sauce and Ken's salad dressings. Might as well get the full plus in there.

Carlito Rayos: That's right. So we have had a bunch of organization, formal organizations in the Southwest as you know, Chief, and we're just trying to copy the success of Henderson and Chief Arboreen is continuing out there for private industries. So these groups are going to be driven. They're going to be led by private industry. Would it be alright if I assign EM representation from each political jurisdiction, fire representation, and we'll get Metro involved with Jodi. So we're looking to at least capitalize on this energy we have and hopefully consolidate some of these working groups. We have utility working groups, there's a pipeline working group, critical infrastructure working group, and as you know we had a lack of representation of the Tier II facilities at LEPC which is actually what (UNINTELLIGIBLE) and LEPC were created for, so this is part of that initiative and to streamline community from industry all the way up to the top and back down, so we have that free flowing communication on a quarterly basis. So Mike, thanks for being here.

Chief Samuels: Thanks, Carlito. So I also want to make sure not just helping (UNINTELLIGIBLE)...please include Henderson PD, which I'm sure Chief Arboreen already does and then North Las Vegas PD as well. And Mike, the reason you got put on this committee is because you weren't at that meeting when they all voted who was going to be one it. So that's how you got.

Mike Shanks: That sounds like the normal process, so.

Chief Samuels: Well, it's universal sir, just so you know.

### 3. NIR

Brian Pearson, Co-chair  
A Hines, Co-chair

Chief Samuels: Brian I see you on, are you having mic problems or is it me again?

Member Male Voice: Chief, I just wanted to do these introductions so that we can be off to the races for the remainder of our meetings. Brian is the Manager of Reddy Ice. Reddy Ice, obviously they produce ice so there's an ammonia hazard there and they're right downtown, you know that corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Main Street that juncture right there where city, county and North Las Vegas all have a stake in the game there. We did an exercise a few months ago with Anderson Dairy where we neutralized an ammonia leak and it impacted downtown. Obviously there's a lot of housing challenges down there and as I looked at the plum cloud, the plum cloud actually when right over the Las Vegas Paiute's colony and we had failed to invite them and so that was kind of (UNINTELLIGIBLE) with that, that was our biggest lesson learned from there. Immediately we talked to Chief Owens and Harriet and they are both involved. They will be a part of this working group and the brick side of it to get some solid work down out there.

Chief Samuels: Awesome, thanks Carlito. Yeah, (UNINTELLIGIBEL). I love the Coon family and I love their ice cream so let's make sure we keep that place going.

Female Voice: Hey Chief, real quick, I'm so sorry to break in here. Joe is on the line, he just could not, you know his phone would not work, but he is on the call.

Chief Samuels: (UNINTELLIGIBLE).

Female Voice: Joe Sabo is. He's on the line, but we just could not hear.

Chief Samuels: Okay.

4. CAER

Gil Doucet, Co-chair  
Josie Ross, Co-chair

Gil Doucet: Good morning this is Gil Doucet with Olen. I am the chair of the CAER Committee, can you guys hear me okay?

Chief Samuels: Yes sir.

Gil Doucet: Okay, so I work for a company called Olen; we're in the Southeast part of the valley in the BMI complex, Olen's a manufacturer bleach, chlorine, sodium hydroxide, all chemicals vital to the water supply in the valley and the Southwest. Olen is a manufacturer and North America's largest producer of those products. We also manufacture, not in Henderson here, but we also manufacture Winchester Ammunition and a bunch of other chlorine organic products and oxys. Anyway the CAER Team represents (UNINTELLIGIBLE) members in the Southeast. We meet, and 3 public utilities, water treatment utilities. We meet bi-monthly. The CAER Team has been at least since the '80's. This is an organization that has been active down here on a continuous basis. For our focus for 2022 right now it's what Carlito mentioned. It's coordinating agency visits with Chief Arboreen and other fire and rescue, as they are available to visit our members. We have done 4 years to date at least 1 shift of the Hazmat Team and the closest responding fire station to be able to participate. We've done a couple of locations including one that someone mentioned earlier, we just did Water Reclamation a day or so ago. That went well, but the real focus on that is to make sure that we have familiarity of the responding agencies with the facilities, you know that we have that agreement on what is requested from both sides, you know in order to not just protect the main environment and the community but also make sure that we have a state game plan for our responding agencies when they come to the sites. We are also working on our annual CAER Drill right now which is going to be held at (UNINTELLIGIBLE) in the BMI complex on November 10<sup>th</sup>, so pre-planning is going on for that and finally we are continuing community outreach. Right now our focus is with a school, Coral Academy on Eastgate Road, they are located right next to the BMI complex, so making sure through CAER Outreach prepared, if there ever was an emergency to be able to respond and keep their Staff and their children safe there at the site. Any questions?

Chief Samuels: Thanks Gil, I appreciate it. Brian did you try to jump on now or get your mic working?

Brian Pearson: I appreciate here, but Reddy Ice, we're downtown on Las Vegas Blvd and Washington, not the old one by the Union Plaza on Main Street. I've been here for 23 years. I appreciate all of the work in the community and no (UNINTELLIGIBLE) site to practices releases and (UNINTELLIGIBLE) zones and so we always offer our facility for anything needed and of course everybody on the call here, it doesn't have to be a giant special event, we want to support you, so if you need any ice, this summer it's going to be hot for training crews firstly going out to the lake, we don't care, there's a box right in front there and we want to show you our facility, we're real proud of it. So it's great listening to what's going on in the community and where I can help here, but we're rated about 17,000 pounds of liquid ammonia but we can make 400,000 pounds of ice a day with our giant robot. The problem is the 3 million of us are using about 700,000 pounds a day now in the valley, so we're really vital to the community with only one ice making facility. Imagine if you're still running out of one warehouse or one substation you know. So anything we can do to be safe,

that's why I'm here and anything I can do to support everybody on this call, reach out to me or email me for some Reddy Ice and we're just come on in and take care of you.

Chief Samuels: Hey Brian I have a question, I don't expect you to answer this now, but I do want the answer for the next meeting. How much ice would it take to take up about 45 feet?

Brian Pearson: Well the problem is it is a zero sum game. I have to pump the water out of the lake in order to make the ice to dump it back in, so the answer is it's impossible. You know we go through a full reverse osmosis and 5 micron filter and UV light, water softener treatment, you know that our filtration is about the size of your house, not a paper filter or anything like that. But ultimately there's only one water source and that's the lake, even for us. So I wish I had the answer for that that would be the case.

Chief Samuels: It would definitely cool the lake down.

Brian Pearson: I could definitely cool the lake down, but I couldn't fill it up.

Chief Samuels: Well if we cool the lake down, that means maybe it wouldn't evaporate much, maybe we could go that route, maybe that would work.

Carlito Rayos: Can I chime in real quick?

Chief Samuels: Yes Carlito.

Carlito Rayos: I just wanted to represent Air, it looks like Kim got bumped off. So a lot of our utility companies they'll have infrastructure and one or more of the regional working groups and they'll be committed to participating in each regional working group that they have infrastructure. Air is really critical. 15 of the 25 or so Tier II are high hazard facilities that we have in our Valley out there in unincorporated Clark County and incorporated North Las Vegas and we're working really closely with the City of North Las Vegas, with Solome and Chief Anderson as well as Chief Campbell from the suppression side to build some preparedness out there. Kim is the Co-Chair along with Joe Sabo. Joe is the safety manager, actually he's a geologist out there at the (UNINTELLIGIBLE) mine. The (UNINTELLIGIBLE) mine also has a footprint at CAER. So they are members of both of those working groups. The Water District, Corey Ross, so we have Ian rep from any agency that has a piece in that response or a piece in that infrastructure as well as public safety and that group is then led by private industry. So it's a pretty cool concept. We're also pushing in prevention, so as we do inspections with our respective jurisdictions that they're partnering up with suppression crews and they're getting eyes on the emergency response plan and then those with emergency response plans are getting the goals to populate those into the CAT systems, so we have pre-plans for all of our high hazard facilities and we're looking to do that through these groups. So this brief will get a little bit...it'll get shorter, Chief, we just wanted to make these introductions. It will get more standardized. These groups will meet a month before LEPC and talk about the goings on of their regions and then bring that information, whatever is pertinent to the LEPC to gain a glean, whatever information the LEPC has for them, then you know after the LEPC meeting we ask that they send out a summary or conduct another meeting and push that information back down. So surely we're establishing communications with industry and meeting the spirit and attempt on that program.

Chief Samuels: No, perfect, thank you Carlito. Good report out. And yes I always agree they will exclude themselves out, but the first of each month, (UNINTELLIGIBLE) trying to get a feel on what the report used to look like; who's actually doing the report, so you're all good.

Carlito Rayos: Any guidance that you have for us, that LEPC has for us, we were thinking we would probably just do it in a CAN model, Conditions, Actions, Needs, for each region.

Chief Samuels: That would make sense and I think we're all used to that type of reporting.

Carlito Rayos: Alright sir. Sounds good, thank you.

Chief Samuels: Thank you Carlito. Alright I am going to close out Agenda Item VIII and go to IX.

## IX. Public Comments

Chief Samuels: Do I have anyone for public comment?

Phil Klevorick: This is Phil Klevorick.

Chief Samuels: Go ahead Phil.

Phil Klevorick: Yeah, so my public comment has to do with Scouts, the Boy Scouts of America. I sit on their volunteer committee and I wanted to reach out to members of the LEPC group who may have an interest in helping volunteer at certain activities for the Scouts and if they have an interest, please reach out to me. Which will lead to the second part of that. We're actually doing an activation at the Scouts Program June 4<sup>th</sup> at their facility on Paradise and 215 for activating Rugby for youth in the committee for ages 6 to 12 years old. So if anybody has an interest, please come by they love to see people in uniforms or not in uniforms. Thank you.

Chief Samuels: Hey Phil if you by chance have a list of all the events that are planned for the year, maybe you can just share it with this group and if there is something that is doable for one of us or some of us, we will reach out to you now with it and we'll at least have an idea on what it looks like and what's coming up.

Phil Klevorick: Thank you, I appreciate you guys.

Chief Samuels: Thanks Phil. Anyone else for public comment?

Brian Arboreen: Chief Samuels, this is Brian Arboreen, can you hear me?

Chief Samuels: Who's this? (UNINTELLIGIBLE – MIC WENT IN AND OUT)

Brian Arboreen: Yes sir. I have 2 comments—one I would just like to (UNINTELLIGIBLE) and appreciate Mr. Gil Doucet's leadership with CAER and his ability to show as much interest and be just as committed and dedicated to our mission understanding both sides of the conversation. So Gil I personally really appreciate you and I know that you will be of value to this conversation and I look forward to partner with you as we (UNINTELLIGIBLE).

Member Male Voice: I would also like to recognize all (UNINTELLIGIBLE) Clark County Water Reclamation (UNINTELLIGIBLE) we will appreciate the time and value the information as (UNINTELLIGIBLE) to understand the products and volume and (UNINTELLIGIBLE)...I think we might run into. So that's my first comment. If you'll be okay with a second question, I'd to just pose to the group for clarification if you're okay with it. I'd like to run through the jurisdictions with who I have as contacts for Special Operations and see if anybody has any information of the current staff. And so currently from North Las Vegas I've got the (UNINTELLIGIBLE) Chief soon-to-be Deputy Chief Justin Capo and Captain Dennis McClain as an organized medical rescue team. For Clark County Fire I've got Chief Wendy for special options, with (UNINTELLIGIBLE) Jim Snyder and Captain Joe Game over at Mack Jack Fusion. For LVFR I've got Assistant Chief Art Perillo, Battalion Chief Kenny Chrinser and Commander Sean Salcedo for bomb organized hazmat and technical rescue. For Armor I've got Lieutenant Andria Diaz, Sergeant Dan Goluscue and for Henderson Fire Department is myself, for Henderson PD it is Lieutenant Sean Simoneau and for Boulder City it's Chief Greg Chesser and Nigel Walton. So I know there's been a lot of changes, I wasn't quite sure if that list was current or if I need to be looking somewhere else for who those people might be for special operations here in our community. I know you said you wanted certain folks involved with certain appointments so we have visibility and awareness. I'm just trying to get those folks identified and goal organizations, and insure that they're.....(UNINTELLIGIBLE).

Chief Samuels: Yes thanks Chief Arboreen. If you can compare that list with those people that you just said, I think that might help because they're going to use some. I would include

Chief Thomas Prestone on there as well as our Operations Chief for Clark County Fire. Chief Whitney takes care of more of the special events and has a little bit of that technical rescue side on the tunnel component, but other than that, I would share that with that group of those people and I think that makes sense.

Member Male Voice: Sorry for taking your time, I just wanted to see if this was applicable and if we can get some work done. So I appreciate it.

Chief Samuels: Go ahead Chief Arboreen.

Carlito Rayos: Can you add me to that list for Clark County Development and then I do have a contact, I'll give it to you on (UNINTELLIGIBLE), but there is a Carl (UNINTELLIGIBLE) replacement reached out to me a couple of days ago, his name is Dustin Schilling, so he will be doing a lot of that scheduling that Carl was handling and then I talked to a bunch of the guys from City yesterday at the water ramp tour and it looks like they will be testing and interviewing to replace Chief Cooper's position here in short order, so that person will be forthcoming as well and I just wanted to echo just a second what you said about Gil and his leadership and his subject matter expertise out at BMI. It's been phenomenal and he's definitely is the blueprint that we're trying to duplicate to all of the three regions and the last public comment that I have Chief is I just wanted to thank Karen for her many years of service. I've been able to work with her as an external agency, as an external custom and an internal customer at this point and she's been such a great catalyst for the success of our region and getting these much needed dollars spread out in an equitable and efficient way. So Karen thanks for all your years of service.

Chief Samuels: Yeah, thank you Carlito. For those of you who do not know, Karen Taylor, I'm losing her, but not losing her, so lucky me. She transferred over to Nevada (UNINTELLIGIBLE) as their (UNINTELLIGIBLE) manager. Pam Adding will be taking her spot. Pam will be filling Karen's roll starting on Tuesday; but Karen is not going to get to go away that easy because we are in the midst of a lot of grant funding (UNINTELLIGIBLE – MIC ISSUES) fees, so sorry Karen, but congratulations while you're still here.

Karen Taylor: Thank you, Carlito.

Chief Samuels: Spencer, did you have something to report out on?

Spencer Lewis: I was just going to ask to add Chief Tobler to the specialties list. We don't have a lot of specialty items here in Mesquite, but he would be the contact for Mesquite Fire.

Member Male Voice: Thanks Spencer.

Spencer Lewis: Thank you. And get with me if you need that contact number.

Member Male Voice: I appreciate it.

Chief Samuels: Do I have anybody else for public comment?

Jean: Well I do have one sir. Last week in Austin, Texas was a national exercise COBALT magnet 2022, it's a consequence management exercise. This one happened to be an RDD, Radiological Disbursal Device in Austin, Texas. The planning team is going to be working on an AAR. I'm wondering if that AAR is not controlled distribution. Is that the kind of product this committee might be interested in putting eyes on?

Chief Samuels: Yeah I think we would want to see that, and before it if we can, are you talking about trying to bring back having an exercise here as well? Is that what you're trying to do?

Jean: I don't really, I don't think I have sway in that, but the AAR, what I heard is some of the hogwash on Friday was a lot of the problems were intra-jurisdictional (UNINTELLIGIBLE). I'm sure that's shocking to this party. But you know you might be able to glean a thing or two

out of it. Cause I don't know what you know about Texas—it's an own-rule state; and the Austin area actually spans 3 different counties, so you know that's 3 different county judge jurisdictions so, I don't think Clark County is quite that messy, but Clark County is big and there are a lot of, obviously there are a lot of players just looking at the number of attendees. So if I can get it released to you, I certainly will.

Chief Samuels: Thank you Jean, I appreciate it, I would like to read that.

Jean: Alright.

Chief Samuels: Anyone else for public comment? I'm hearing none.

## **X.** Adjournment

Dean Kiernan: Motion to Adjourn, Dean Kiernan, Clark County School District

Chief Samuels: Dean with the first and the second by all, say "I". You guys have a good weekend and be safe.